Monday, June 27, 2011

My Real Boss

I was a little bored with the first two days of week three, but Beth is starting to "hit it home" in day three. I loved her reflections on surrendering our work to God. I had to get a little giggle out of it too. Is it that the Bible studies hit home with what is happening in our lives, or does God's word just apply to whatever situation we're in? Of course, His word does apply to everything, but every time I do a study, it sure seems to apply to something that is going on in my life, and that I can learn a lesson from.

I love what the Bible says about our jobs. Here's Colossians 3:23-24 from the Amplified version:
Whatever may be your task, work at it heartily (from the soul) as [something done] for the Lord and not for men. Knowing [with all certainty] that it is from the Lord [and not from men] that you will receive the inheritance which is your [real] reward. [the one whom] you are actually serving [is] the Lord Christ (the Messiah).
I love this. If we're cleaning toilets, doing laundry, answering the phone, working in a factory line or a white collar position. If we love our jobs, if we hate our jobs--if we love our bosses, if we hate our bosses - no matter - our real boss is the Lord,and He's the one who loves and rewards us. Seems like this sure should make us want to jump out of bed in the morning , doesn't it!

I can testify to this in a small way. There are so many days I say, Lord, I'm just not smart enough for this job - give me Your wisdom. Or Lord, I'm not patient enough for this job - give me Your patience, Lord, I'm too tired to do this job today, give me Your energy. You know what, He has always been faithful. He's answered those prayers. I think sometimes we forget, we just have to ask. He is always ready to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment